Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

French Breakfast Muffin Recipe Re-do

In July, darling husband found out that he is diabetic.  That has made us change our eating habits as a family.  As a result, he has lost about 60 lbs and I have lost about 55.  It hasn't been easy!  The girls still like to have treats, so I am on a mission to find recipes that I can alter to make healthier and a little more desirable.

My first try was a French Breakfast Muffin.  Here is the recipe.  French Breakfast Muffins

My re-do was easy peasy!  Here is what I used:

1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1/4 cup Splenda Blend
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 Kroger Carbmaster Vanilla Yogurt
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon

Topping:
2 tablespoons Splenda Blend
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon



Of course, the Peanut was anxious to help!  Moms, how do you keep little fingers out of the bowl when your kids are helping you??  I need advice!
We combined all of the dry ingrediants, added a lightly beaten egg, the almond milk and yogurt, then mixed. 

Into the oven at 350 for about 14-16 minutes.  We didn't leave ours in quite long enough because, being the expert that she is, the Peanut convinced me that they were done. 



The orginal recipe called for butter in the topping.  We just mixed the Splenda Blend and Cinnamon and sprinkled a little bit on the warm muffins when they came out of the oven.

Boy, I didn't realize how bad my pan looks until I saw this!  Needless to say, I let the Peanut fill the muffin cups and she missed her target several times.  Anyway, ugly pan aside, they were YUMMY!!  They stuck to the liners a little bit, but I think a minute or two longer in the oven would solve that problem.

I  built the recipe in "My Fitness Pal" and according to that program, they have 125 Calories, 1.3 grams of Fat, 22.1 grams of Carbs, 3.7 grams of Protein, and 7.0 grams of sugar.  Not bad, I think.

The best review of all is that we made them on Saturday evening.  By Sunday afternoon they were long gone!  I think next time I might add some nuts. 

Until next time,

Frances


This post is part of Get Your Craft on Tuesdays at Today's Creative Blog  http://todayscreativeblog.net/
And Tutorials and Tips party at  Home Stories A 2 Z

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I think it's awesome you changed the whole family's diet. New follower from follow me Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delish! Thank you for joining the blog hop...following you via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete